Tuesday, August 23, 2011

#crosscamp Stage 2

The second day of cross camp was a little more subdued at the beginning of the day as the previous day heat and riding and core technique practice took it's toll. I was a bit stiff and a little flat but ready for the day after a bagel and coffee and some snacks on site.


My bike needed some repairs yesterday afternoon and the two mechanics at the clinic quickly got rid of some creaking noises and gave some advice on what may be at issue for the other lingering creak.


The first instruction was on bunny hopping. No this wasn't us suddenly learning to hop barriers six feet apart and 45cm high, but rather the type of hopping to save tires and avoid small obstacles.


Once again the message and technique was described, demonstrated and then we practiced the different methods immediately and got some immediate feedback. From bunny hopping we went on to starts, again simple technique and a checklist of things to get ready were gone thru along with demonstration. Adam went thru some of the tradeoffs and different techniques out there and gave good solid reasons as to why he does what he does.


Then we practices starts one row at a time, then two at a time then all of us. I tried some of the different techniques and different start legs. I have more to experiment with in terms of start position, on seat vs off but the rest I have down.


The rest of the camp was lunch and course evaluation, what to look for lines, look for places to attack, rest etc etc. We did a couple of ride thrus over various sections and got lots of valueable information. In the middle of this we had a fairly good downpour, which considerably changed the course so we re-did some of the sections.


Then we had an opportunity to "graduate" and do some hot laps to see what we would forget while under pressure. Unfortunately, on an uphill my rear skewer slipped and the rear wheel shifted and immediately stopped and I went over the handlebars while going up a steep hill. I must have whacked my elbow, because I was trying to lift my bike off of me but my arm was not obeying.


Coach Al helped me get going again and I had to chase for most of the two laps which was tons of fun.


In retrospect, my cornering improved significantly, dismounts good or at least better. I supermanned one remount, but nailed the next three. I found that if just kept aiming for the right pedal I would do significantly better on the remounts.


So that was pretty much the entire camp. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't all get to throw our helmets in the air, but c'est la vie. Seriously though if you're at all serious about your cross and cross technique then you need to go to this camp.

No comments: