Tuesday, August 23, 2011

#crosscamp Stage 1

Got up at a reasonable hour got some food and loaded up and headed to camp at The Glendale Glide in Southampton. Easy to find and lot's of parking in a field on the left side of the road and the cross course on the other side.


Lot's of drinks and snacks available all day, which was great because it was pretty humid and you needed to drink all day.


The morning session was to cover Core Technique, which was Mounting, Dismounting, Lifting and Carrying. We were placed in the Advanced group due to experience. When we first started it was a bit disconcerting how rusty I was, but Aly and I both commented that we were happy we hadn't done some of our usual summer skill because it likely would have ingrained some bad habits.


First off the instruction from Adam was very good. Specifically re-mounting was a huge difference for me. I still got it a bit wrong in some instances in the hot laps the next day but percentage wise I am a lot faster and on the pedals earlier when re-mounting.


Dismounting, again the instruction was excellent with lot little tips and discussion on leg thru etc. The format of instruction, practice, feedback and discussion was excellent and really the only way to do this type of skill training.


The dismounting drill has made me possibly re-think my pedal choice as I was un-clipping and trying to pedal un-clipped and would clip in suddenly. It wasn't that much of a big deal but it is something to think about moving forward.


I worked to ingrain some of the things I had fixed and tried to have it become second nature as soon as possible and was really happy with the progress. The morning session alone made it worth the time and money investment.


Lunch was a huge burrito and lot's of snacks and drinks left you not wanting for anything. It was good to listen to various stories and get to know some of the people. It was great to see so many women in the camp and getting instruction from guys who know what they are talking about!


The afternoon session was cornering and although I wasn't happy with my cornering on the wide sweeping right hand turn that we started with, the tight off camber went better for me. Aly was making huge strides as time went on. Re-mounting was a big difference from the start to the finish of the camp.


After the day was done we rushed back to hotel, showered changed and went for Indian food before the 7pm talk by Adam at Smith College. The Indian food was great and the talk was excellent but my ADD and lack of coffee was getting to me and I had to go get some coffee to help me thru the night.


All in all Day 1 was and excellent start.

No comments: